If you are looking for a delicious, hearty salad, then this Wheat Berry Salad is it! This summery light salad is the perfect blend of fresh vegetables and sweet fruit. Definitely give this a try, I know I’m going to be making this a billion more times.
Yield: 6 cups
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
FOR THE WHEAT BERRY SALAD BOWL:
- 1 cup uncooked French green lentils (2 to 2 3/4 cups cooked)
- 1 cup uncooked spelt berries or wheat berries (2 cups cooked)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium or large red onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved or 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 packed cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 batch Lemon-Tahini Dressing
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onion and lemon zest, to garnish (optional)
FOR THE LEMON-TAHINI DRESSING:
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- To start, soak the spelt berries in a bowl of water overnight, or for at least 8 to 12 hours. Then, drain and rinse well.
- Add the drained spelt berries into a medium pot and then cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a low boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until tender, but still chewy. Drain excess water.
- Next, rinse and drain the lentils. Add to a medium pot and then cover with a couple inches of water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil and then immediately reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, but still a bit chewy. French lentils will hold their shape beautifully and won’t break down like regular green or brown lentils. Drain well.
- Prepare the Lemon-Tahini Dressing: First, mince the garlic in a mini food processor and then add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Then in a large skillet or pot, add the oil, onion, and garlic, along with a pinch of salt. Stir. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion softens.
- Mix in the chopped red pepper and tomato and then sauté for another 7 to 8 minutes.
- Next add the spinach, cooked spelt berries and lentils, and stir to combine. Then sauté until just wilted and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in all of the Lemon-Tahini Dressing, fresh parsley, and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, serve with chopped green onion and lemon zest on top, if desired. This salad is lovely served on top of a leafy green salad, or you can serve it with hummus and crackers on the side too.
Enjoy this Wheat Berry Salad recipe? If you feel so inclined, click on the button below.