Surprise everyone by bringing this delicious sweet potato casserole with pecans to Thanksgiving dinner.
- 3.5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 cups or 4 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (or normal butter if not vegan)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt & cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup Urban Hippie Simply Sweet granola
- 1/3 cup AP flour (or flour of choice)
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 4.5 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into medium size chunks.
- Place in a large pot with water and a healthy pinch of sea salt.
- Bring the pot to a boil then lower to medium/high and boil until sweet potatoes are fork tender (about 15 minutes).
- In the meantime prepare your crumble. Add all crumble ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined (or you can do by hand just make sure you use pecan pieces). It took me only 5 or 6 pulses. You still want chunks! Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once potatoes are done, drain and place in your kitchen-aide mixing bowl along with 2 Tbsp butter. Using your paddle attachment mix until smooth. Next add in the maple syrup, almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, sea salt & cinnamon. Mix until smooth & creamy. (alternatively, you can mash/mix by hand or use a blender/food processor in batches). I recommend using a device if you can because it creates the extra creamy consistency.
- Place your sweet potato mixture into a casserole dish and smooth out. Add your crumble topping so it’s evenly distributed. Optional-add a handful of extra chopped pecans on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve!
Thank you Nutritionalfoodie.com for your inspiration.