Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchilada with Cilantro Avocado Sauce| August 21, 2019
Inspired by ohsheglows
Yield: 4 Enchiladas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (~2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sweet potato, chopped (or zucchini)
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 can black beans (~2 cups), drained and rinsed
- Enchilada sauce or Pasta sauce (about 2.5 cups)
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
- 4 whole grain tortilla wraps
- Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce, to pour on top (recipe below)
- Green onion & chopped cilantro, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grab a baking dish large enough for 4 enchiladas. Pre-cook the chopped sweet potato, by simmering it in a small pot of water for about 5-10 minutes until just tender. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet or pot, add 1 tbsp oil and bring to medium to low heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until translucent. Add in garlic and reduce heat to low and cook for a couple more minutes. Now add the spinach and cook on medium 5-7 minutes until wilted. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cubed sweet potato, and black beans.
3. Add in your enchilada or pasta sauce. Stir well, and add in your seasonings: cumin, fresh lime juice, salt, garlic powder, chili powder- all to taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir well.
4. Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan. Scoop 3/4 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla and wrap, placing the fold down on the casserole dish. Repeat for the remaining 3 tortillas. Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce on top of enchiladas and sprinkle leftover filling over the top.
5. Bake tortillas at 350F for 18-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make your Cilantro cream sauce (see below). Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onion. Serve immediately. Makes 4 enchiladas.
Cilantro Avocado Sauce
- 1 & 1/4 cup avocado
- 2 tbsp water, or more as needed to thin out
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
1. In a food processor, process the cilantro. Now add in the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth and well blended. Use immediately for best results.