My husband is obsessed with corn chowder, cornbread, and I love corn on the cobb. So I decided to try my hand at some homemade corn chowder. It turned out delicious. Let me know what you think in the comments.
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small diced carrot
- 1/2 cup small diced celery
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups milk, (any kind)
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and large (1-inch diced ~3 cups)
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Place butter or oil into a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot.
- Add your onions, bell pepper, carrot, celery and cook on medium heat until vegetables soften. (about 5 minutes)
- Add milk, bay leaf to pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add your potatoes, salt, and thyme to the pot. Simmer and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf. Add the corn kernels and black pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.